Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Thank You From a Veteran and Military Wife to the Supportive Civilians at Home

I was a little caught off-guard when Allan Bourdius, during his podcast (it's on every Monday at 10pm EST at this link) , asked me something to the effect of "what can civilians do to better accommodate or interact with veterans".  I believe my answer was something like how I appreciated other Americans coming up and just saying a simple thank you, as well as reaching out just like you would any other person. However, now that I've really thought about it, I would answer that question a little differently, or at least elaborate on my thoughts.

Civilians have thanked me and/or my husband more times than I can count. It's humbling, and even a bit embarrassing at times. I say that not because we don't appreciate it--we do--but because we don't do it for the thank yous. We do it for our beloved country. We do it because it's an honor to serve. Sure, it isn't the most glamorous job, but it's a job that someone must do for America, our children, our grandchildren, and so on. I don't regret it, and neither does my husband. We chose this life, and are truly honored to do it. To steal Chick-Fil-A's commonly used phrase, it was "our pleasure". My family and I have met fantastic friends, my husband and I learned new job skills, and we're taking advantage of armed forced education services. All this, on top of feeling like we have served a real purpose. 

It is possible that many civilians don't realize how grateful veterans, as well as active service members are for their efforts. It's also possible people are unaware just how much fellow Americans do for veterans, service members, and their families. Churches, support groups, and private businesses have done wonders for us. In fact, I never had to buy a toiletry item or any snack food while I was deployed to Iraq. This was because our first Sergeant's office was like an extremely well-stocked marketplace for those things, due to the overwhelming surplus of care packages from American civilians stateside. One could find anything from toothpaste, to board games, to jolly ranchers, in those boxes. It made us feel like we were appreciated, and it took a lot of the stress out of our lives having those things on hand. Thank you.

Just the other night my husband picked up a few groceries after work in uniform. As the check out lady asked for payment, a woman pushed him to the side and paid for all his items in full. She didn't have to do that--and my husband was speechless. Thank you, whoever you are. It made our day. 

The entire point I'm trying to make is that though we appreciate every single gesture and thank you, at no point do we feel that other Americans should feel obligated to do so. I'm humbled that so many fellow Americans are genuinely thankful for our efforts. Thank you for those of you thinking of us, and supporting us. You have been an important encouragement in our lives. 

Together we can combat the effects of PTSD, suicide, and other issues affecting our troops. Just by treating them as people, community members, and friends, we can all make a difference. Continue to reach out--and even more so to those who seem to be hurting. We must all make an effort to try and help heal the emotional scars. Of course, we don't accomplish them by treating them differently. Give them chances, talk to them, interact like human being and make a connection. 

We appreciate it, and you will too, because veterans, service members, and their families, are extraordinary friends to have. They know how to build the most incredible, trusting, dependable friendships I've ever known. 

'Murrica. 

No comments:

Post a Comment